Welcome!!!

If you stumbled among this site, "Evelyn’s Twigs, Thyme and Stranger Things Gardens" is a collection of journal entries that I have kept on my computer for years, and have now decided to post. The journal contains my successes and failures with my favorite selections of plants. I'm talking about more than 50 years of caring for and living with green things. Not everything is here. More of it is learned and store in my head. However, here I will share facts about each plants, my research, as well as my personal and gathered tips on their care. I was not planning to post my houseplant and backyard journals online, so editing them for errors was not a priority to me. This being the case, perhaps, one day I will correct all the spelling and grammar errors in both of them. We would not want people to think I did not know better, when I was only being lazy. Again, no apologizes. It is what it is for now.

Sunday, August 23, 2026

Beans, Greens and Other Things, A New Report

 Hello, Darlings 

I hope this cloudy and rainy day has not dampened your spirits and that you have been waiting in anticipation for my next post.

Well here are a few photos of the new crop of green beans, which have grown up straight and tall with the support of the tomato cage. The vines are still young and just beginning to bud. 


In the group of photos the plants in the other three vertical growing systems are turnip greens, which are just about ready for a third picking, some aggressive basil plants, and the same store-bought scallions that I got on Sunday, June 7, 2026 with some young pal choy plants on the bottom tiers of it hydroponic system.



Now that I have done the routine progress report on the regular vegetables, I want to share with you my new experiment. 

On Sunday, July 19, 2026, I seeded two KVITER 650 Aunt Molly Golden Pineapple Ground Cherry seeds and two KVITER 175 Long Purple Eggplant seeds. I did so because I wanted to see if they would do well in a hydroponic system. This being Sunday, August 23rd, and with only one of the two Long Purple Eggplant seeds germinating, I would say that the surviving plants are off to a good start of growing to maturity. I will keep you posted.

The photos:

This first group of photos is of the KVITER 650 Aunt Molly Golden Pineapple Ground Cherry plants. They are called this because they taste like pineapples. They also grow wrapped in papery husks like tomatillos. We look forward to harvesting and eating them.




In this last group of photos are of a KVITER 175 Long Purple Eggplant. I wanted to try growing them because they are bush like and longer than the patio baby eggplants, and only need a little support. The amazing thing I discovered about this Long Purple Eggplant earlier this week is that this eggplant has sharp spines on the top and bottom of its leaves, its branches and stems. I believe these spines are for preventing wild live animals from eating the eggplants. Like the KVITER 650 Aunt Molly Golden Pineapple Ground Cherry plants we are looking forward to adding them to our salads


I nearly forgot, the photos below are of the new plants growing in the other countertop hydroponic systems, some were recently germinated, and the systems consist of the following:

  • One Patio Baby eggplant
  • Two K1 red cherry tomatoes
  • Two K2 golden cherry tomatoes
  • Four pods of Japanese Red scallions, which will be moved once they get older.
  • Two California Wonder Peppers
  • One Tiny Tim tomato plant
  • Four medium large Parris Island Romaine Lettuce with two seedlings





Until next time,

       Keep growing!!!

A Widescreen Online Review Plus Article@2026