Hello, Darlings
Since I discovered that Fred, The Indian Laurel had out grown his yellow planter and was growing a central root into the soil next to the house, I had to cut it out and move him to a place where it would be easier to maintain his growth. Yes, the root had punched its way through two planters, the yellow one that Fred have currently grown in, and the larger clay colored replacement. The root was just that strong. Nevertheless with Stanley’s help, I gave Fred a new look by cutting him out of his old yellow planter and putting him securely in the larger one, which I had bought a couple years ago with the knowledge that someday Fred would need it.
With Stanley holding Fred in place, I filled the planter with new soil and a little non-burning, all-purpose plant food to jump starts the root growth, and surrounded him with morning glories seedlings; finally, I trimmed him down the a manageable size. My idea is to intertwine the morning glory vines among Fred's branches in a colorful and graceful fall.
In the two black planters below Fred there are seedlings of marigolds, and I also placed a young hibiscus plant, as well as an arrowhead plant, both of which will need constant pruning, as with Fred, to maintain their sizes.
Finally, because I had seeded a lot of marigolds seeds under Fred before repotting him, those additional seedlings are now transplanted around the bottom of the stump of a huge oak tree. My idea is to cover that stump with a variety of colorfully vining flowers.
In addition, I have for the most part given over the care of the outdoor gardens and container plants out there to Stanley, his knowledge is limited, and like many newbies to gardening, he is learning slowly, and in some cases, the hard way. However, I know that someday he will read my garden journals, and/or will pick up one of my many gardening books and read it. Until then, let’s just say, patience is a virtue, but my ancient nerves are thin.
Meet Fred, the Oak Tree??? Nope, Fred The Indian Laurel
Until next time,
Let’s Keep Growing!!!
A Widescreen Online Review Plus Article@2026
https://evelyntwigsthymestrangerthingsgarden.blogspot.com/2026/06/wow-fred-six-years-later.html
